Friday, May 27, 2016

Safety Director

     When I went through orientation in January of 2012, David Frady was the Safety Director.  I remember him coming in and giving his speech about safety.  The most profound thing he said was "They call me the Safety Director, but I am not the Safety Director.  I am the Safety Consultant.  You are the Safety Directors of your own trucks."  Through the rest of his career as Safety Director, when he would send a message out on the Qualcomm he would sign it "your friendly safety consultant."


     Mr. Frady wanted us to take responsibility for the safety conditions in and around our own trucks.  Saying that statement in orientation really flipped a switch for me.  It gave me a new awareness of my role as a member of the safety team.  Sure, we have people in the office with titles whose roles are to help manage the safety (and DOT compliance) of the fleet, but really... safety begins and ends with the drivers.  I hope this gives you a new awareness of your role here at Freymiller.

No comments:

Post a Comment