Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Trip Planning - Weather



          I find it ironic that this week’s post is about weather.  I have spent all day dealing with the effects of winter storm Stella.  This morning, I started out with about 460 miles to drive today and by the time I got here, I had less than an hour left on my 14 hour clock.  It’s been a long day.  I’ve known since I left Florida, two days ago, that weather would be a factor today.

          During the summer months, I typically only check the weather enough to know how to dress, but the rest of the year is a different story.  When I lived in Wyoming, I watched snow fly from September all the way through May.  The higher the elevation, the better chances of seeing snow when you normally wouldn’t expect it.

          On the first day in my truck, if a trainee doesn’t have a weather app on their phone, I have them download one.  Starting with the first trip, I have them note the major cities on our route and look them up on the app so we know what we’re getting into.  This is especially helpful with the geographically challenged, it gives them another way to learn the country.


          Knowing the weather where you’re going helps you plan so you can still make a delivery on time (if possible), but it also keeps you from having to unexpectedly throw chains.  With all the technology available to us, there is no excuse for “having” to throw chains.  Chain if you want, but don’t chain because you got caught unaware.

No comments:

Post a Comment