Sunday, March 11, 2018

Welcome To The Quitters Club


          I had my last cigarette on February 4th.  I haven’t yelled at anyone, cried, gotten road rage, or had to hide a body.  I think I’m doing pretty well.  I started smoking when I was 13.  I don’t feel old telling you that I’m 47, but I think I sound old when I say I’ve been smoking for 34 years.  I know, I’m weird.

          I spent a year talking myself into doing this.  No, I’m not doing it for my health.  If I was quitting for my health, I would have done it over twenty years ago.  My great motivation is that I’m tired of stinking like an ashtray.  The smell I used to crave so much has gotten quite offensive to me.    

          It really doesn’t matter what my WHY is.  What’s important is that I have a strong enough WHY to see it through.  There are plenty of solid reasons to quit smoking and I will reap the benefits of all of them no matter what my motivator is.

          I’m using a vape to quit because I know that quitting cold turkey turns me into a raving lunatic, I’m allergic to the adhesive on the patches, the gum and lozenges taste like pepper and I hate pepper.  This isn’t my first try, but this is the one I feel the most positive about.

          I started out at a level 6 nicotine and my plan is to cut down to a 3 on June 1st, 0 in September and then on New Years Eve I’m going to pack up all my vaping supplies and be done.  I know my limits.  I know that trying to break the nicotine habit and the physical habit is a recipe for failure for me, so I’m doing it this way.
          Two people I know commented that everyone they knew that had tried to quit smoking using a vape went right back to cigarettes.  I can think of three people right off the top of my head that quit successfully using a vape, so I know it can be done.  I don’t believe in applying my “can’t” to other people’s lives and I don’t allow other people to apply theirs to mine.

          If you smoke, don’t worry that I’m going to be obnoxious to you about it.  I know that everyone walks their own path.  If and when you come to a place where you decide to quit, I will be your biggest cheerleader, but if that never happens, I promise to never forget what it felt like to “not be there.”

          Feel free to help hold me accountable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment