Monday, October 24, 2016

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Peeps: Chaplin Olen

     One of my favorite things about working at Freymiller is the people.  When I go to the yard, I get to see people that I honestly like and I think for the most part the feeling is mutual.  When they ask me how I am doing, they genuinely care about my answer. 

     Chaplin Olen is one of those people.



     Chaplin Olen is not a Freymiller employee, but he has been a consistent presence around the Freymiller yard for about 7 years.  I met the Chaplin when I went through orientation in January 2012.  I was surprised, yet comforted to find a Chaplin in residence here because our society seems to be moving away from traditional beliefs.  I was going through some major life challenges when I came to work here and the Chaplin's calm demeanor, quick smile and genuine concern for my well-being was one of the first signs that I had come to work at the right place.  He quickly became MY Chaplin.

     What makes him so perfect for the position he holds is the fact that he spent many years doing exactly what we, the drivers, are doing.  He understands how difficult it can be to deal with the problems at home when we are away from home for 3 weeks at a time.  He offers a unique perspective that so many pastors in other truck driver ministries just can't grasp.

     Chaplin Olen is very real.  When I talk to him about what's going on in my life, he doesn't pretend that he doesn't understand my struggles, he has been through most of them and he isn't afraid to share his own experiences.

     Chaplin Olen is SAFE.  He doesn't judge and it's okay if your beliefs don't line up with his.  He doesn't go into shock if a word slips out that you wouldn't want a toddler to repeat.  What he cares about is your heart.  He is here to help you carry the weight of the world.

     If you haven't done so, next time you're at the yard, take 10 minutes and go talk to him.  He has a converted trailer at the west end of the yard, behind the main office building.  He is an awesome man of God, doing what he knows God has called him to do... be there for you.

7 comments:

  1. You are so right. He is a fine person, and very easy to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He really is. We're very blessed to have him around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He really is a gift. He recently counseled me with my ongoing tumultuous divorce. I am very happy that Freymiller has him available as a resource for us. I am very proud to work at Freymiller. I love your blog, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti - I love your blog. This piece on the chaplain is beautiful. In addition to my books, I also volunteer as a jail chaplain. Can't wait to see your response to The Big Ride and Times and Places. Gary Baker

    ReplyDelete