Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Knowing My Limits

                Last week, I got stuck on I-70 in Western Colorado by winter storm whatever-its-name-was.  This doesn’t make me unique; there were a lot of us stuck there.  My personal policy is to avoid Vail like the plague during winter months, but computer routing and a discussion with my Driver Manager (dispatcher) helped convince me to violate that policy.  That’ll teach me, huh?

                I was running with another driver and on the second day of our weather induced hiatus, we started looking at alternative routes.  He suggested a route that caused my stomach to do a dog trick… roll over and play dead.  I told him to give me ten minutes.  I spent that time thinking about it and praying about it.  I told God, “if you want me to take this route, I need You to give me peace about it.”  I couldn’t get peace and just had this overwhelming feeling that this route was a bad idea.  I shared my feelings with the other driver and we stayed put another day to try to wait out the problems over Vail Pass or figure out another route.

                We got out the next day, got delivered and are both on our way somewhere else.  A few days later we were talking about how good drivers know their limits.  I don’t drive when I believe I can’t do so safely.  It doesn’t matter if it’s caused by weather or my physical condition.  When I don’t believe I’m safe, I’m not safe. I know my limits. 

                I have had several trainees who got into my truck without ever having seen snow.  One asked me “how fast should I go when there is snow?”  There is no textbook answer to that question and I told her that.  I also told her, “if you feel like you’re driving too fast… you are.”  My first winter in the truck I drove a lot slower than I do now, but I have also learned how to drive in snow.  I don’t have to drop 20 or 30 mph every time I see a snowflake now because I have learned to read the road conditions.

                A good driver knows their limits.  My limits aren’t going to be the same as your limits.  It doesn’t matter if I’m driving the big truck, my pickup or my car.  I still have limits.  I know when road conditions are outside my abilities (it doesn’t matter how good of a driver I am, I’m still going to slide on icy roads), I know when I’m getting lethargic and need to get out of the truck for a few minutes and walk around.  I know when it’s time to go to bed.  That’s what good drivers do.  They pay attention to what’s going on around them and inside of them and they do what’s necessary to stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment