Monday, January 9, 2017

What Makes A Good Driver?

          Several months ago, I made a remark in a post that trucking isn’t what it used to be.  While there have been some good changes, like improvements in technology, there have also been some bad changes.  If you talk to older drivers, they will tell you that it’s just not like it used to be. 

          I have seen an overwhelming trend that is not exclusive to trucking, but in society as a whole.  What I’m talking about is a general lack of integrity and the loss of taking pride in a job well done.

          I’m a good driver.  I know I’m a good driver.  I don’t say that with conceit but with confidence.  I can say that because I pay attention to detail and I always do my best to act with integrity.  I also live by the Golden Rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  Society seems to have twisted the Golden Rule into: do unto others before they do unto you.

          I was overpaid this week.  It wasn’t by a lot, but none the less I was paid for work I hadn’t done.  When I first noticed it, I thought “they’ll catch it.”  It bothered me to leave it up to them to catch it.  I’m one of about 500; they may or may not catch it.  That doesn’t matter.  What matters is I caught the mistake.  Had the mistake gone the other way, where I’d done work that I hadn’t been paid for I would have brought it to their attention immediately.  It was only right that I bring this mistake to their attention.  So, I did.


          I’m not sharing this so you can give me an “atta girl” or think highly of me.  I share this because this is part of what makes me, me.  If we want the world to be a better place, then each of us – individually - must be the change.  People are what makes Freymiller a great place to work.  I’m one of those people, we all are.  We have to be what we want Freymiller to be.

2 comments:

  1. Have been following your posts from the start - enjoyable,candid,real. Two questions please ? Could you touch on how you help your students plan out a load / trip. Also, how is the reread of "purpose driven" going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the compliments. I always try to be real, it's so much easier than being fake LOL

    To answer your questions...
    1. I use the GPS to start. We look at what time the GPS says we will arrive, then add in what needs to be added, like an hour for fuel stop, 30 minute break and potty stops for each drive shift. Then add in 10 hours breaks. Once we have added in everything and have a good estimate of what time we will arrive, then we know if we can make it on time.

    2. Haven't started Purpose Driven Life yet because the person I'm going to read it with has been sick. I'm waiting for him to get better.

    ReplyDelete