Friday, September 2, 2016

Route 66



Several times a month I pass this site.  It’s not something I give a lot of thought, but every time I pass it I start singing Natalie Cole… get your kicks…

          I think I take for granted the rich history of Route 66 because I pass so many of the “Historic Route 66” signs in my daily life.  From just outside of Chicago all the way to Los Angeles I see those signs.  I pass Route 66 museums and at most stops along the way, memorabilia is available for purchase.

          Two of my aunts, along with their families, traveled that road to move out west and start new lives.  I wish I’d had the foresight when they were still alive to ask them about their journeys.

          People travel from all around the world to take the journey, mostly on Interstate highways that have replaced the “Mother Road” but in spots you can still drive on the original road.

          When I stopped to take these pictures, I had a “Whoa!” moment when I thought about where I was standing.  I was standing where countless numbers of people drove to follow their dreams and start a new life.  Times were good, times were bad, dreams were both crushed and realized along the way.  It makes me very aware of what a small part of a much bigger picture I am.

2 comments:

  1. What a great write I never thought of it that way it opened my eyes it would be great to talk to some that drove the rt 66 back then

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Standing in front of that bridge sure changed the picture for me!

    ReplyDelete