Friday, May 26, 2017

Graduation Day



Yes, this really is me in a dress.


          I am a proud little sister this week!  Out of five kids, my sister Margaret is the only one of us to have a college degree.  The rest of us have done other things (i.e. truck driving school) but Margaret is the only one with a diploma from a university.  Both of our parents have passed and there have been plenty of times in my life where I have thought “I’m really glad they’re not here to see how badly I’ve screwed this up.” Sunday afternoon when I watched Margaret walk across that stage I was thinking “I wish Mom and Dad were here to see this.”

          I asked Margaret if she would mind if I posted about this here after I realized a second blessing this weekend – being able to go there in my Freymiller truck.  My second summer here, I got disgruntled and started calling other companies.  One of the things I was asking when I made those calls was about time off… can I take time off wherever I want? More than one company told me no, I could only take time off at “home.”


          One of my favorite things about Freymiller is I can take time off wherever I want... within reason, they have to be able to get a load that goes there.  I have taken time off in Indiana, Alabama, North Carolina and even Wyoming.  I’ve been able to spend holidays with different family members, made it to my sister’s graduation and got to see one of my best friends get married - without having to fly or drive my own car to do it.  This takes a great burden off me not to have to take extra time off and incur the expense of travel.  I admit that this is a major benefit for me because I’m cheap, I hate flying and driving long distances in a car.  I don't think I need to mention how much more comfortable the ride is in a Kenworth 660 than a Pontiac Sunfire either.

3 comments:

  1. That is a major accomplishment to get a degree. Yes Freymiller Trucking is a great company that truly takes care of their drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very grateful that you work for a company that allowed you to be here to celebrate with all of us!

    ReplyDelete