Sunday, June 18, 2017

Handicapped Bathroom Stalls


                A couple of months ago, I raised an absolute RUCKUS on my Facebook page by making the comment that it really ticks me off to see someone use a handicapped bathroom stall who obviously doesn’t need it. I was told I was judgmental and just because someone doesn’t have a wheelchair or a walker doesn’t mean they don’t need hand rails or elevated seats.  I was surprised by how much flack I caught over that comment.

          Of course, I can’t tell just by looking at someone if they need that stall, but I can say for certain that there were two people in the Love’s in Lodi, CA that evening that definitely didn’t...  the 12(ish) y/o girl - who was skipping through the store bumping into people – and me.

          If there is a line and that stall comes open when it’s my turn, I won’t take it.  I went into a restroom once where the only stall that had toilet paper was the handicapped stall.  I grabbed some paper and went to another stall.

This is one of those issues that really lights me up.  I have a sister who had a leg amputated above the knee. She uses a walker or a scooter when she’s out in public, so yes, this is personal.  While I can’t tell on sight who may or may not need that stall, I don’t ever want to be the reason someone who legitimately needs it can’t get to it.

1 comment: