Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Seven Day Water Challenge

          Recently, I came across an article on Facebook titled “I Drank Nothing but Water for Seven Days and This Is What It Did to My Body.”  I was intrigued because I know I need to drink more water, so I clicked on it.  There’s 10 minutes of my life I wish I could get back.  I was hoping for something profound, but what I found was an opportunity for a narcissist to show off a dozen creepy selfies with her water bottle.  The great epiphany?  The author had caffeine withdrawal headaches for a few days and spent more time in the bathroom.  Seriously?  I would love to see this girl on “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?”

          I decided to take my own 7-day challenge.  My sub goal was to drink the recommended amount of water for me.  Body weight divided by 2 = the number of ounces of water daily.  150 lbs = 75 ounces.  I’ve also heard that anything non-carbonated and non-caffeinated (milk; juice) counts towards water consumption.

          Days 1, 2 and 7 I did not hit my ounce goal.  On day 5 I caved and had a diet soda; day 7 I caved and had an energy drink.  I had 1 bottle of milk, no juice.

          So, what happened?
    1.   I lost 3 pounds.  Woohoo!
    2.   Being properly hydrated, I didn’t experience the nosebleeds I usually do from the lack of humidity in the Rocky Mountains.
    3.   My sock line was noticeably reduced. (Drinking carbonated drinks causes water retention and usually at night I have sock lines from my legs swelling.)
    4.   Without the rollercoaster of spike/crash from energy drinks, my energy level was consistent throughout the day and I slept better.


          Moral of the story?  Drink more water, my peeps!  You’ll feel better.  No great epiphanies here either, but at least there’s no creepy selfies!


No comments:

Post a Comment