Saturday, July 30, 2016

Why Freymiller?

                Financially¸ I hit rock bottom in January 2012.  After having been a broke single mom for 3 1/2 years, I was losing my home.  My choices were go live in a cardboard box or get back into a truck after having been out of trucking for 12 years.  My brother, Dennis was working here at the time and he told me that Freymiller had a “friends and family” training program.  Most of the time the situation was where a driver would train his wife and they would run team, but not always.  It was unspoken but understood that if Dennis trained me, we would not run team after my training.  I love my brother, but I’m sure even he would tell you there is a reason that siblings grow up and go live in different places.

                While he was checking into the process of getting me hired on at Freymiller, I checked into a couple of other options, just in case.  One of the companies I called wanted me to give up my CDL (that I’ve held since 1993), go through their school and go take the CDL test again.  Another company wanted to put me through a 2-week refresher course (doable) and then have me with a trainer for about 4 months (not doable.)  I felt like these other two companies wanted me to jump through flaming hoops to be able to work for them.  I wasn’t willing to give up my CDL just to go get it again and I couldn’t afford to live on training pay for almost 5 months.  Thankfully, Freymiller gave me the okay and I was scheduled for orientation.  The rest, as they say, is history.

                There are probably hundreds of companies out on the road today.  Periodically I get asked why I work for Freymiller and not for someone else.  My answer is always the same. “I love it here.”

                 Freymiller gave me the chance to earn my dignity back.  They gave me that chance without making me jump through hoops.  Without prejudice, Freymiller gave me the opportunity to prove myself.  Freymiller is a great place to work.  Let’s change the conversation a bit.  Instead of why do I work for Freymiller, have you asked yourself why don’t you work for Freymiller?

2 comments:

  1. My answer is this 3 weeks out is a bit long for me. I did once call and talk to a recruiter and found out that important information. If home time could be down by even a week it would have been more doable.

    I have heard nothing but great things about the company. Just wish their lanes were a little more open to central Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense. That is an issue for some. Home time isn't a big issue for me right now.

    ReplyDelete