Sunday, September 3, 2017

Motorcycles For Dummies

          



          Two weekends ago, I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s “Basic Ridercourse,” which I have been affectionately referring to as “Motorcycles For Dummies.”  There is nothing derogatory about that nickname; I love the “Dummies” and the “Idiot’s Guide” books.  I relied on those when I was homeschooling my kids.  Those books take you from A to Z on whatever topic.  They’re still my “go to” when I want to learn something new. 

          At the beginning of the course, we all got to introduce ourselves and tell why we were taking the course.  I told them I bought a motorcycle and need to learn how to ride it, which is true.  I left the part about the suspected mid-life crisis out.

          About halfway through the course I realized another benefit I was getting.  I knew this course would make me a better trainer.  It's had been a very long time since I truly felt like I had no idea what I was doing.  I felt like a fish trying to learn how to ride a bicycle.  I was uncoordinated, lacked confidence and wondered if I hadn’t lost my mind.  Voices from my past snuck up on me to tell me I couldn’t do this.

          The motorcycle I bought is at my brother’s house and at one point I considered walking out of that class and calling him to tell him to sell it.  When I told him that he said he would have told me to suck it up and get back in the class.  He knew I could do it, even when I didn’t. 


          The last time I felt like that was June 1991 when I started truck driving school.  It’s been so long ago, that I know I’ve ignored the fact that most of the trainees I get probably feel the exact same way when they climb in my truck.  I think this is going to make me more compassionate and patient as a trainer.  I’ve been driving a truck so long that it comes as naturally as breathing for me.  But it hasn’t always been that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment