Sunday, September 17, 2017

Off the Beaten Path

          I really love it when I get to get off the beaten path and go through the small towns.  Today was one of those days.  I went from Lawton to Elk City (OK) and there is no interstate connecting the two.

          To me, Smalltown America is still Real America.  There are still store fronts and brick roads, old theatres and diners.  I love seeing how the small towns decorate for various holidays. 

          The stretches between the small towns are dotted with farms or ranches.  I can’t seem to go fifty miles without finding an abandoned, run down farm that I imagine in its former glory and think about how cool it would be to buy and restore.


          I’m always glad to get “back to the big road,” where I can make better time, but it’s still nice to be able to get out on the smaller roads, slow down a bit and see what there is to see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment