Monday, January 22, 2018

Holy Cow, It's Cold!

          I didn’t realize how lucky I’ve been the past month until last Tuesday.  I skirted the cold front that came through over Christmas.  Then last week when another one came down, I was bouncing back and forth between Phoenix and Dallas on I-10/20.  Last Saturday I was running the A/C.

          My luck ran out on Monday when I was dispatched on a load out of the Dallas area to Northeast Indiana.  Holy cow, I didn’t realize it’s been so cold.  I mean… I know it has been because I’ve been hearing about it, but I haven’t had to deal with it, so it didn’t really sink in.         

          Tuesday night it was cold enough that I was able to idle the truck.  Our trucks will idle if the temperature is below 10 or above 100. 


          As long as we’re talking about cold weather… are you remembering to put Power Service in the reefer tank?  I worry about that more than I do the truck because the truck has tank heaters, but the reefer doesn’t.  When I was headed towards Dallas last weekend, I put PS in the reefer and topped it off because I knew it has been cold and I didn’t know what I was doing after Dallas.  Just trying to think ahead… makes life so much easier. 

2 comments:

  1. When I am up north I always put power service in the reefer and the truck. I learned the hard way of not using power service when it's freezing. I won't make that mistake again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember in '14 when we had trucks freezing up all over the country? My brother froze up twice that year, my ex froze up once. That reminds me, I need to get more PS before I leave Friday.

      Delete